DNA Testing, MTHFR & Methylation
DNA testing allows us to “peek behind the curtain” at your genetic blueprint and see how variations in your genetic data may be playing a part in your cycle, mood, gut and overall hormone health.
The aim of DNA testing is not about diagnosing a disease. The genetic information that comes from DNA testing simply allows us to see the potential issues or areas where you may need more support than someone else who doesn’t have the same genetic instruction sheet.
Think of it this way. Your DNA data is like an architect’s plan. A blueprint of how to build your body. This set of instructions is simply that – a guide – but it is not set in stone. What turns the blueprint of genetic data into physical expression is epigenetics.
Epigenetics looks at how environmental impacts affect gene expression and disease susceptibility. By looking at both your genetic “instruction sheet” and your actual environment (this includes past and current mental, emotional and physical impacts and stressors, lifetime toxicity exposure and diet and lifestyle choices) we may then determine what parts of your active genetic expression may be playing a part in your current health issues and how to best support your body through to optimal health.
One of the most researched genes is the MTHFR gene, particularly in its links to fertility, mental health and cardiovascular risk.
The gene’s sole responsibility is to metabolise folate. However, it also interacts with other genes, ultimately having a knock-on effect on gene and enzyme function throughout the body which may impact overall health.
Read more about epigenetics, methylation and the MTHFR gene below:
- Folic Acid: Could It Be Harming Your Health?
- From Infertility to Depression to Cancer. Why You Need to Get to Know MTHFR
- Methylation and You
DNA Testing In Clinic and Online
A new era of personalised health care | quick, easy, at-home or in-clinic testing
Testing is easy! Your kit comes with a an oral swab which is simply rubbed on the inside of each cheek 10 times and you’re done. A reply-paid envelope is included to mail your sample back to the lab for processing. From there, we can expect your results within 2 weeks.
There are 5 panels on offer outlined below with pricing:
- Methylation Profile: looks at metabolic pathways invovling MTHFR, folate, B12 and homocysteine;
- Hormone & Fertility Profile: offers insights into oestrogen, progesterone, LH, thyroid and MTHFR metabolism;
- Mood & Cognition Profile: tests pathways relating to key neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, histamine and GABA;
- Detoxification Profile: identifies genetic influences of Phase I and II detoxification pathways in the liver, oxidative stress responses and cell oxygenation;
- Nutrigenomic Profile: offers personalised nutrition advice based on genes involved in the metabolism of Vitamins A, C, D, folate, B12, the master antioxidant glutathione and CoQ10; OR
- The Wellbeing Bundle: All 5 Panels!
1 Profile = $149
Each additional Profile = $99; OR
The Wellbeing Bundle: All 5 Panels = $299
(this is my recommendation both for completeness of information and value)
Where Can I Find Out More About Methylation In General?
For my money, head straight to Dr Ben Lynch’s site or take a look at the multiple free video links on YouTube:
Book Your DNA Consult Today
For more info on DNA testing, consultation and kits, contact me: email@example.com | 0404 120 155
Click to Book Online